Re: Trans options. . Broke my Tranny again

But the new trannys are NOT 020's i thought. all the new ones are cable
shifted 02A's which will not be fun to swap in.(i've heard, i've never been
through a vw newer than 85!)

At 04:36 PM 12/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
>From:          XXSpArCoXx@aol.com
>Date:          Wed, 9 Dec 1998 16:00:02 EST
>To:            scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject:       Trans options. . Broke my Tranny again
>
>I believe the newer A3 trannys have the 28 tooth main shaft like the
>16v' (I could be mistaken).  even if it doesn't just use an 8v
>(24tooth) clutch disc with the heavier 16v pressure plate
>
>Tony
>
>OK my Tranny was making weird buzzing noises so I put some tranny fluid in
and
>it's not as load but it leaks even more now. .
>So I got to tget a new tranny . .
>Well I got to 3 options and some sub options. .
>
>1. Have the old tranny rebuilt into a Rally crash box with shortened 1st
>through 4th gear with stock 5th or same 1st to 4th with longer 5th or
shortend
>1st to 4th with longer 5th from a Rally guy in the area for 500 bucks flat. .
>not bad . ..  no synchro no clutch shifting sounds like a plast for autocross
>and track . . street to . .
>
>2. Just get another 16v tranny $425 with minimal warrenty which always runs
>out 500 miles before the dmn thing breaks
>
>3. Get a newer tranny from a 95 VW $800 . . Suposedly stronger with diffrent
>gearing . . .
>I can get one from a GTI nice quick gearing or one from a Jetta which would
>give me a high over all top speed . .  I'm think go with the GTI one if I go
>with this trans option. .
>
>Now my question is do the newer VW trans have the right spline for 16v's
or am
>I going to have to swap out that part and give myself a huge head ache, , ,
>What do youz people think. .
>Sorry had to say the "Youz" part.
>Thanks a lot . .
>~Danny~
>88 16v Tornado Red
>P.S. I plan to boast power in the car some more making me lean towards the
>newer GTI tranny. .
>And that tranny can handle Bigger wheel size Concedering that the gtis came
>with 15/60's . .  or at least thats what myfriends GTI cam with . . .so
bigger
>wheels size shouldn't upset the speedo as much with the newer trans. . got
all
>this from the guys at the shop . . .just throwing it in for thought. .
>
>--

Kevin Fry .:. 81 Scirocco S JH -- turbo soon to come!
      San Diego, CA
"If God had meant for us to use the metric system, we would've been born
with ten fingers and ten toes."