Re: Trans options. . Broke my Tranny again

From:          XXSpArCoXx@aol.com
Date:          Wed, 9 Dec 1998 16:00:02 EST
To:            scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject:       Trans options. . Broke my Tranny again

I believe the newer A3 trannys have the 28 tooth main shaft like the
16v' (I could be mistaken).  even if it doesn't just use an 8v
(24tooth) clutch disc with the heavier 16v pressure plate

Tony

OK my Tranny was making weird buzzing noises so I put some tranny fluid in and
it's not as load but it leaks even more now. .
So I got to tget a new tranny . .
Well I got to 3 options and some sub options. .

1. Have the old tranny rebuilt into a Rally crash box with shortened 1st
through 4th gear with stock 5th or same 1st to 4th with longer 5th or shortend
1st to 4th with longer 5th from a Rally guy in the area for 500 bucks flat. .
not bad . ..  no synchro no clutch shifting sounds like a plast for autocross
and track . . street to . .

2. Just get another 16v tranny $425 with minimal warrenty which always runs
out 500 miles before the dmn thing breaks

3. Get a newer tranny from a 95 VW $800 . . Suposedly stronger with diffrent
gearing . . .
I can get one from a GTI nice quick gearing or one from a Jetta which would
give me a high over all top speed . .  I'm think go with the GTI one if I go
with this trans option. .

Now my question is do the newer VW trans have the right spline for 16v's or am
I going to have to swap out that part and give myself a huge head ache, , ,
What do youz people think. .
Sorry had to say the "Youz" part.
Thanks a lot . .
~Danny~
88 16v Tornado Red
P.S. I plan to boast power in the car some more making me lean towards the
newer GTI tranny. .
And that tranny can handle Bigger wheel size Concedering that the gtis came
with 15/60's . .  or at least thats what myfriends GTI cam with . . .so bigger
wheels size shouldn't upset the speedo as much with the newer trans. . got all
this from the guys at the shop . . .just throwing it in for thought. .