Re: Timing belt and exhaust manifold

I think it's often helpful to pull the intake manifold when taking off the exhaust
manifold. Those nuts that were originally 13mm that hold the exhaust manifold on
are always 12mm now. Pound a 12mm 6-point on there, or sometimes even an 11mm
six-point. Spray a lot of liquid wrench or something on there first, too. Can't
hurt, and might held keep you from breaking studs. If you're pulling the whole
head, then breaking studs isn't QUITE so much of an issue, because any good
machine shop can get them out for you.
To get the timing belt off, the only other things you should have to get off are
the rest of the crankshaft pulley, and the lower cover. If you already have half
of the pulley off, the rest should come right off, if my memory serves. That big
19mm nut does NOT have to come off... a lot of people assume it does.
Good luck!
    -Josiah
    '84 GTI (autoxer and toy)
    '86 Scirocco 8v (buy me)