[Tech] [Cylinder Head] [8V] - cleaning the combustion chamber

I have an 8V cylinder head that I am preparing to install on my Golf GT.
It has some carbon bulid up on the bottoms of the valves and on the
combustion chamber.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what to use to clean off these
deposits?

TIA

Mark . . .   (THINK VW)
Scirocco 1982, Golf GT 1987
Scirocco 1978
Scirocco S 1980 (soon)
Previous Sciroccos: 1981S (RIP), 1980S, 1975TS, 1975
http://home.t-online.de/home/SCIROCCO2/mark.htm