Re: sub box?

On Tue, Dec 08, 1998 at 06:42:58PM -0500, Feenix wrote:

> Alright, here goes. DON'T even try to build your own box. You probably
> have no idea of the mathematics involved in wave acoustics and proper
> geometry that produces said wave acoustics.

1. The mathematics involved in designing a speaker box are fairly simple.

2. There are several speaker box design programs availible. Just avoid
Blaubox from blaupunkt and you're ok.

3. Usually, you don't even have to do any design work. The recomended
volume is  usually supplied by the speaker manufacturer.

> Buy a decent PORTED sealed
> enclosure.

Good lord, this is about the worst thing you can do.

1. The box volume needed varies for different speakers. Using the wrong
box volume will definitely sound like shit, and can damage your drivers.

2. Port dimensions also vary with speaker design. Using the wrong design
here wont damage your speakers, but it will sound like ass.

3. I, and most other audiophiles, hate the sound of ported boxes. They may
play a few hertz deeper bass, but you sacrifice a flat frequency response
to achieve this.

4. Premade boxes almost always use particle board. Thats fine if you don't
mind a buzzy box that falls apart over time.

> If weight is not an issue than bigger is better.

Hell no. A box that is too big underdamps the driver. Result: muddy sound
an poor power handling. It becomes way too easy to bottom out the voice
coil. The only exception is for infinite-baffle subs, which have a super
powerful spider to compensate for the large enclosure volume.