Re: octane?

just went though a very heated debate on this on the Passat list.

normal engines less than 9.3:1 compression will not benefit from
octane ratings higher than 87.  they will benefit from the cleaners
but you're better off economically dumping in a bottle of techron in
every 25k miles. If you run a high compression engine you will
benefit from running higher octane gasoline, however 87 will be just
fine, you'll just have to live with low performance and the
occasional ping, which isnt harmful unless its pinging a LOT.

Ryan
these are general remarks, to get into detail about how and when and
why would take too damn long, so if you have a specific question
concering a statement i made please ask, DONT post crap like "That's
not ALWAYS true, and i'm calling bullshit" ..because there is
probably an exception to every rule, right now i just thought of one,
a supercharged or turbod engine may have less than 9.3 compression
yet you need to run higher octane because of relative explosion and
burn factors are hot enough to release the potential energy in the
higher octane gas. I took these remarks direct from Government and
University of Louisiana test data and resulting comments from
gasoline chemists.

Mannix disclaimer off.