Re: Can't get into 1st or 2nd since eng swap

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998 20:29:44 EST TBerk16@aol.com writes:

>Folks,
>
>I dropped the 1.8 liter into the '81 last week, kept the wide ratio
>tranny and I haven't been able to get into 1st or 2nd gear.

Check the alignment of the tranny. Find where the old bolts were at
(Marks on the mounting brackets fore/aft.) Before you do this, check to
see if you have the shift rod that has the white plastic clips on the
ends, securely fastened. When the one rod breaks or is failing, it will
give this symptom you describe. if the rod is 100% correct, then you got
to realign the tranny in its mounts.

>I have been up under the car loosening the 13mm nut/clamp that grips
>the shifter's rod; the one right under the linkage and tried adjusting
it
>but all I get for my trouble is less movement.

Dont mess with that. You'll only make it worse. :)
Try the above recomendations and get back to us.
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and