Re: FN tranny woes...

> i got no clue why but obviously the 100mm flanges would not clear
> without grinding down the tranny housing a bit like he/or she did.
>

> > May I ask why he did it? does the FN transmission have something
different than the rest
> > of them?
> > I have successfully put 100 mm flanges on a number of transmissions,
never had to
> > "clearance" anything

I had to do this to the FF that I put in the 88 rocco.  the early trannies
would not accept a 100mm cv (because no vw needed or used them),  but later
trannies will take either.  My 86 Jetta came standard with a 90mm as did
most base model until the late 80's.  I'm not sure of specific years.

There's a couple of other things you need to "machine" on an older 5 sp to
get it to accept 100mm shafts.  I could detail them if anyone needs.

later'
Greg Faust