Re: mechanics

>   Just curious, how many of you do your own work on your Rocs?  I dont
> know about the rest of you, but I am paranoid of giving my car to anyone
> to work on it.

Before everyone begins to rag on professional mechanics, esp dealers, I
just wanted to share a pleasant story.  I took my winter Jetta 2dr in to
get an allignment today to the dealer.  I know that they just got a new
Hunter allignment machine that cost as much as a house.  I figured it would
cost me well over a hundred to get my car on it.  $59.95.
It cost that much at Wal-mart and they are one step short of using a
framing square and a tape measure (no offense Josiah).  I was very pleased.
 They even give you a printout showing your before and after settings.
This was a full four wheel alignment, mind you.

All VW dealerships have signifigantly lowered their prices withing the last
year or so in order to bring back customers who've been flocking to
sometimes rediculously over priced aftermarket suppliers like Autotech,
Rapid Parts, Parts Place, etc.

I usually do all my own work.  I've done 4 clutch jobs since june.  I redid
the entire front suspension on my Jetta myself prior to getting the
allignment.  It's really awesome, fulfilling, frustrating, and time
consuming to do your own work.  I love it all.
But don't rule out professional mechanics.  Just do your home work and find
a good one.

To quote Jerry Seinfeld,  "You know how hard it is to find a good mechanic?
 No 'move' is worth a mechanic"  or something like that.

later
Greg Faust