re: Clutch Mileage

J. McReynolds writes:
"Oh, I have heard that Scirocco clutches are reknown to go bad sooner
than later.  Has anyone else heard or know about this? Maybe it's
just that 'roc drivers can't resist popping their clutches too often!
 I have tried to treat mine with kindness."

Jenn, I had to replace my clutch last year on my '86, but that was
because the last dingdong mechanic who replaced the clutch (just
before  bought the car in March '97) didn't install the gasket that
goes between the block and the rear crank seal housing.  I have never
seen so much oil on a clutch in my life.  I have never worn out a
clutch in a VW, though I make a habit of being gentle on my clutches.

One quick tip: if you are going to do the clutch yourself, make sure
you get the tool for centering the clutch plate between the pressure
plates.  Better to spend the few bucks beforehand and save yourself
this particularly agonizing discovery, as I did  when I was under the
car with the transmission balanced on my chest ...

Cheers,
-- Michael Helms

'81 Scirocco - the fixer-upper
'86 Scirocco - the daily driver

Web Site:  http://www.continuum.org/helms

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, you
can better serve your country by living somewhere else."  - Dr.
Stompin' Tom Connors