MY Scirroco wont IDLE!

Im 16, and i just bought my first car.....a 1984 VW Scirroco.  There are a few
minor problems, and the owner told me it needed a new alternator.  So before
doing anything, i jump started it, and i have to wait about 10-15 minutes
before it will idle.  I just bough the alternator, and bought a new battery.
Now it wont start!  It turns over fine, but it wont start!  Please help me!!!