Re: Engine Rebuilts Book?

> Hi y'all,
>
> My dad's friend who can rebuild motors is gonna help me rebuild a motor
> which I have.  The question I have is "Will a Bentley manual (which I
> already own) suffice in rebuilding the motor (which is from a 84 GTi - 1.8l
> JH) or need I find a book called 'engine rebuilts'."  Actually, my dad's
> friend said that this book should exist for this type of engine and that it
> would greatly assist our efforts.  He is not a VW mechanic so I would like
> to get him all the help he needs.  So, any clues as to what I would need or
> does this book in fact exist.
>

> Thanks,
> Sal

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 2L 16v block at the moment, and I'm glad
that the Bentley isn't the only book on VW's I own. :-)  Personally, I
think the Bentley is really poor with tips directed at rebuilding, it's
decent on telling you how to get the engine out of the car though.  The
problem is basically that the Bentley manual probably has the info that you
need, it's just not collected in such a way that's geared towards the rebuilder.
The Bentley is also _generally_ not a 'trouble-shooter' kind of manual, it
expects you to know what's wrong (Ie. have diagnosed the problem), then it
goes into detail on HOW to change the part or fix the problem.

However, if you can find an old copy of 'How to Keep your Rabbit/Jetta/Scirocco
Alive' book by Richard Muir (or Poor Richards Rabbit Book), that's where it's
at.  Even though the book offically stops at 1978 cars, much of the info and
procedures (especially engine rebuild) still applys today.  This book has
60-70 pages just dedicated to the do-it-yourself engine rebuild (with
machine shop invervals naturally).  It makes a great companion to the Bentley
when you need a second opinion (my hanes manual is my third opinion).

Good luck, and ask questions in this forum as you go.  We've pretty much
done it all...within reason of course. ;)

==Brett