Re: [non-scirocco]Accelerating too fast

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998 21:29:28 -0400 Jason <jason@scirocco.org> writes:

>Okay, I waited until Shawn posted to the list... just to make sure that
he
>didn't email me privately and flame me to hell for even bringing this
>up.

I'll flame ya later! :)

>I was going to be fair about this whole situation no matter what...
>but it seems that Mr. Meze doesn't want to play ball.

Huh? Im playing fair! :)-
<Shawn's rules>

>The "contest" took place on a two-lane-in-each-direction road starting
>as Shawn and I approached a red light.  As we were nearing a stop,
>(5-10mph?),
>I heard him blip the throttle into 1st, and I did same.  The light
turned
>green after we were both in 1st, and we both hit the gas.  There was
>no wheelspin, just engine sound.  We kept pretty even up until I hit
>about 5500 in 1st, at which point I started to gain (obviously due to
the
>16v's better high-end breathing).  By the time I chriped my wheels into
>second, my front seats were about even with Shawn's front axle.

Id say this was accurate.

>Here is exactly what happened.  Shawn and I agreed that the results
would
>have been very, very close if indeed our cars were weighed down
similarly.
>The fact of the matter was that I was far enough in front of Shawn by
the
>end of 2nd gear to be able to see his lights, at which point I shifted
into
>3rd and kept my foot off the gas to allow Jay & Alee and Kareem to catch
up
>with us; and then Shawn passed me.

Actually, there was a car that had pulled out in front of us. I thought
you HAD to back off. Thats when I figured the fight was over. I didnt
know if you wer gonna get back in the throttle or not so I kept my foot
in it a little longer.

>After we got out of jail <ahem> we discussed the race, and the extra
>weight that Shawn had in his car... and came to the conclusion that we
>probably would have been neck and neck if he didn't have all that shit
>in his car.  So, our MUTUAL agreement was that our cars were similar in
>their acceleration, and therefore the race was deemed a TIE.
>	That's the way it was.

True, but my "unoficial version" was more fun for me!  :)

>(And Shawn, if you wanna get dirty, remember I was in front of
>*you* when we finally got pulled over... so there! Na Na Po Po) :)

Yeah, but I thought you were gonna run. When the blue's came on, I was
already heading to the curb. You passed me, then the cop passed me. I was
hoping that he would just nab YOU and I could bail out of there! In fact,
if I were more knowlegable of the area, I would of done just that at that
point! There were many side streets I could of jetted down and hasted my
escape. But then, how would I of gotten back to the hotel? I didnt know
were the hell I was at. Nigel just smiled the whole time.

You know, i dont think I ever got an opinion from Nigel of the whole
thing, did you? After all, he WAS riding with me. Just smiled. :)

Well, he DID bail me out after all. I doubt any American would of done
that for me. Oh, then again, he DID get to drive my car to the police
station. I know he drove it Fast too because he followed the car I was
sitting in and he drove like a lunatic! At least WE didnt squeal tires
and do burnouts from stoplights like the arresting officer did......

>	Remember, guys, don't do this at home.

Yah, do it all you want, I dont care.

Hey Jay! How's the WF video comming along?? :)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and