Re: [non-scirocco]Accelerating too fast

>You are correct sir!
>I also had within my car, a floor jack, a jack stand (1 each), a full
>toolbox, 4 X 13X6 autox wheels/tires and my autox equipment box. Easily
>250lbs more weight in equipment alone and I was STILL, the car out front
>at the hill.

Okay, I waited until Shawn posted to the list... just to make sure that he
didn't email me privately and flame me to hell for even bringing this up.

I was going to be fair about this whole situation no matter what... but it
seems that Mr. Meze doesn't want to play ball.

The "contest" took place on a two-lane-in-each-direction road starting as
Shawn and I approached a red light.  As we were nearing a stop, (5-10mph?),
I heard him blip the throttle into 1st, and I did same.  The light turned
green after we were both in 1st, and we both hit the gas.  There was no
wheelspin, just engine sound.  We kept pretty even up until I hit about
5500 in 1st, at which point I started to gain (obviously due to the 16v's
better high-end breathing).  By the time I chriped my wheels into second,
my front seats were about even with Shawn's front axle.

Here is exactly what happened.  Shawn and I agreed that the results would
have been very, very close if indeed our cars were weighed down similarly.
The fact of the matter was that I was far enough in front of Shawn by the
end of 2nd gear to be able to see his lights, at which point I shifted into
3rd and kept my foot off the gas to allow Jay & Alee and Kareem to catch up
with us; and then Shawn passed me.  So, yes, he was in front of me at the
top of the hill, but at that point the "contest" was over (and I hate to
use that word because it cost me $1200).  :)
	After we got out of jail <ahem> we discussed the race, and the extra
weight that Shawn had in his car... and came to the conclusion that we
probably would have been neck and neck if he didn't have all that shit in
his car.  So, our MUTUAL agreement was that our cars were similar in their
acceleration, and therefore the race was deemed a TIE.
	That's the way it was.

	(And Shawn, if you wanna get dirty, remember I was in front of *you* when
we finally got pulled over... so there! Na Na Po Po) :)

	Remember, guys, don't do this at home.

	Jason
	The tied-with-the-fastest-Scirocco-in-San-Diego 1987 Scirocco 16v.