new scirroco owner

I revently purchased an 84 wolfsburg ed. from a friend. it has 137k on the
stock engine, and is in decent shape. I am not at all happy with the power and
would like to know some simpler upgrades for the engine. I would also like to
know what your thoughts are on borla stainless turbo mufflers. Finally, my
shocks are blown and I would like to know the best/cheapest sollution for new
shocks and springs is. TIA