Re: Driving from USA into Canada

At 02:30 PM 8/20/98 -0700, A. Bjorkheim wrote:
>  I plan on heading up into BC for a VW show over the weekend and all this
>talk of taking pictures of plates really scares me.  What I want to know
>is can they do anything about me not having the front plate on my car?

Don't worry about it.  I've crossed 4 times now at that crossing and I've
never had a problem, and in BC not having a plate is "illegal".  Since
you're from WA, you'd have to do something REALLY bad to get a ticket.  :)

>plate?  Also, what is the tax rate for buying stuff in Canada and then
>declaring it at the border.  I wouldnt otherwise but the stuff I might
>buy, tires, are too large to go unnoticed.

Depends on what you're bringing and how long you're staying.  I think for a
day trip you get something like $20 duty-free.  The longer you stay the
more you can bring back.  The duty on car parts is 4%, I think?