Re: Nology sux!

At 6:39 AM -0700 08/14/1998, Brad Sheridan wrote:
>At 05:57 AM 8/14/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>Well, sounds like the HALL sensor in the distributor is dead or on its
>>last leg.
>
>Sounds about like replacement time to me. But I'm probably going to try
>some other things first, like resistor plugs, because a distributor isn't a
>cheap thing to replace if its not positively the problem.
>
>Brad

Hey, don't have time to write much now, but I've got a couple of biased
shreds of info;).  Nology's wireset/coilamp probably did not cause the
problem.  They might have, some Neon owners reported ECUs dying soon after
installing Nology wires, but it is hard to say if they were nuked by the
wires or just coincidence.  Other non-nology ECUs were dying around the
same time.  The metal braid around the wire/grounded to the block induces
capacitance - the spark is stored up for a fraction of a second, then all
of the original energy is shot down the wire at once.  It is a strange way
to do things, but the metal braid is "real," it does do just that.  Of
course, Nology's marketing terms make it sound far more schnitzen, but
that's what they're doing.  Cut one up sometime.  How much do they
charge?!?  Unbelievable.  The wire itself is decent, they just add a metal
braid and some fancy sheathing, oh, and $100;).

About the resistor plugs - this is NOT your problem, Brad.  Non-resistor
plugs work fine - both of my cars have them, there is no problem whatsoever
with running non-resistor plugs in a VW.  The Hall sender sounds culprit to
me.  I would'nt necessarily blame Nology for this problem - they could be
related, but I can't think of how they are.  Possible, I suppose.  The
plugs should not affect things one iota, however.  Good luck!

Iain Mannix