Re: Nology sux!

At 08:28 AM 8/14/98 -0600, you wrote:
  Other non-nology ECUs were dying around the
>same time.  The metal braid around the wire/grounded to the block induces
>capacitance - the spark is stored up for a fraction of a second, then all
>of the original energy is shot down the wire at once.  It is a strange way
>to do things, but the metal braid is "real," it does do just that.  Of
>course, Nology's marketing terms make it sound far more schnitzen, but
>that's what they're doing.  Cut one up sometime.

  I've seen it myself. And I've also checked the voltage rise times at the
plug due to all of this capacitance. It is definitely storing a little
charge, enough to slow down the firing of the plugs.

>About the resistor plugs - this is NOT your problem, Brad.  Non-resistor
>plugs work fine - both of my cars have them, there is no problem whatsoever
>with running non-resistor plugs in a VW.

  Have you run non resistor plugs AND Nology wires? It could be a grounding
problem for the ECU, it could be one of several things. But non resistor
plugs can cause problems with ignitions, the additional noise generated
within the ignition box as a result of non resistor plugs, solid core wires
and the like, could cause the processor to reset or hang. I know this can
happen on some boxes, I just have never bench tested a Bosch box.

>  The Hall sender sounds culprit to
>me.

As I mentioned before, the problems started occuring shortly after
installing the Nology system. And if it were the Hall sender, wouldn't it
have gotten worse or gone completely bad in the few thousand miles I've put
on since this problem first started occuring? I'm not familiar with the
failure mode of the hall sender, but I would expect that it would gradually
get worse until it went completely bad, not develop an annoying hiccup, but
stay exactly the same for thousands of miles afterwards.

 I would'nt necessarily blame Nology for this problem - they could be
>related, but I can't think of how they are.  Possible, I suppose.  The
>plugs should not affect things one iota, however.  Good luck!

  I'm not entireley blaming Nology for the problem, since I haven't fixed
it, I can't say 100% whats to blame. But I suspect its related to their
stuff. The reason why I said they suck is their customer (dis)service.

Brad

  PS If you have a web site up on the Secret Ignition stuff, prices sheets,
or the like post it! I'd like to see it.