RE: [A3-A1] Driving impressions

On Thursday, August 13, 1998 9:03 AM, John Ryland
[SMTP:John.Ryland@mail.sscoop.com] wrote:
> I just got back from a couple of hours driving on the highway, and I just
> wanted to say, I love my car. There's been quite a lot of talk on the
list
> lately about putting various 2.0 8v motors in early cars. All I can say
is
> do it. My car is a '78 Roc with a '93 (A3) Golf 2.0 Motronic
setup...chip,
> cam, 2.25 TT exhaust, lots of other go-fast stuff. It cruises on the
highway
> (around 75) near 4000rpm...kind of loud, but not noisy (if you know what
> mean.) The sound almost puts you in a trance after a while. Anyway, the
car
> looks fast and lately it seems every Mustang, low-rider pickup, Integra
and
> whatever else wants a piece of the Roc :`) Usually, they'll get right on
my
> bumper and I'll pull over to let them in front because I know what will
> happen. When I get back behind them, they'll slow down just a little,
then
> attempt to leave me in a cloud of dust. Unfortunately for them, my car
likes
> nothing better than to launch from 80 (around 4200) to 100 in  no time. I
> call this the Winnebago Trick because they feel like they're driving an
RV
> towing a compact car behind them...there's just no shaking me. I thought
> about getting a Scirocco 2.0 badge made for my car, but decided against
it.
> Let 'em think they got abused by a 1.6.
>
> JR
> --

I know just what you mean.  On Sunday I drove from Yosemite to Folsom,
about 180 miles, and the last 80 miles of it was all freeway.  I got in a
pack of cars cruising between 95-110 MPH and couldn't believe how good the
car felt.  We all just shucked and jived through traffic and kept up the
pace until Sacramento (about 70 miles) where everyone split up.  I had the
windows down, the stereo cranked and must have looked pretty silly singing
Primus with that big grin on my face.  The guy in front of me was driving a
Passat with dealer plates.  He kept looking back at me so I'd pass him and
he'd pass me a little later. It was kinda cool keepin up with the big boys.

Welcome to California, State of Many Highways and No Enforced Speed
Limits!!!!

I love my ROC!!!!!!!

Brian Honnold
'78 Rocco Ragtop