Re: dreaded CA smog gestapo

Kevin,
  First off , if you are afraid that your car won't pass, you can ask
them to do a precheck on it.  This is a full on smog check, but they
don't hook up to the DMV's computers.  It usually costs about 60-75% of a
full smog check, but can save you a lot of hassle in the end.  If you
don't pass, they will give you the print out and should have some
suggesstions on what to do.  If you don't do a pre-test and you are
deemed a "GROSS POLLUTER" you get a $150 fine and have to get the car
fixed and then go to a smog referee to verify that it now passes smog
laws.  You also need to get the car smogged every year for the next 2
years, not every other year like normal cars.

   I usually have been running fuel injector cleaner and super unleaded
in the car for about 2 weeks prior so that any carbon build up has been
eliminated from the exhaust long before I have to have the car smogged.
I also will change the spark plugs a week or so before so that it is
burning at the best that it can.  If possible have the car heated up and
hot before they test it, although I usually have to wait for them to smog
it and it has cooled down some in the meantime.  Hotter = burns cleaner
as far as smog emmissions.

Just a couple of helpful hints to keep your car on the road and not
tagged as a gross polluter.
Ken Weidmann Jr
GLXTASY@Juno.com
Checkered Flag Automotive Components