Re: dreaded CA smog gestapo

okay, thanks, I'll pull some timing out and put in my vacuum retard into
the distributor.

The new smog check has been implemented in California. My friend just got
his Escort smogged yesterday.
I saw it with my own eyes! :) It cost him around 60 bucks for the smog.
Also the new machine doesn't tell you if the car passed of failed until
_AFTER_ it communicates with the DMV computer!! Scary! So i'll be sure to
do a pre inspection

Methanol? are you sure?

At 10:23 PM 8/6/98 +0000, you wrote:
>If anything, you'll want to retard, not advance the timing in order
>to lower the emissions.  Why do you have to have it smogged on a
>dyno?  I thought that the state scrapped the idea because of the
>immense cost involved.  Consult the DMV and a local smog shop, but I
>thought that's what happened, according to several local techs.
>Another trick to getting a car to pass is to put a fair amount of
>methanol in the gas tank.  It runs REAL clean then.
>
>> Date:          Thu, 06 Aug 1998 21:58:21 -0700
>> To:            scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>> From:          Kevin <aventari@cts.com>
>> Subject:       dreaded CA smog gestapo
>
>> Well you guys, I just got my worst nightmare in the mail today.
>>
>> 	I have to get my car smogged! And not just a regular smog, I have to smog
>> it on the new 'dynos'. ouch.
>> I dont know if i'll be able to pass the way my car burns oil and how bad
>> the exhaust leaks between manifold and downpipe. (3 broken studs).
>>
>> Well it's got 200k miles on the stock EN (1.7) with MSD 6A ignition, 2 1/4"
>> cat back, autotech dual downpipe, k&n.
>> What do you think will be the best spark plug gap for the smog test? right
>> now I'm at .055", should I close it a bit or leave it?
>>
>> 	I'm dropping my new catalytic converter in, I just put in a new o2 sensor
>> and new NGK non-resistor plugs last week, and I'll have the fuel system
>> power flushed. I'm also going to overinflate the front tires so I have less
>> resistance on the dyno.
>>
>> 	Besides play with the CO screw, does anyone have any tricks I should use
>> to squeak me passed the test? I can't crank up the ignition timing because
>> they check that. Would high octane racing gas work? AHHHHH I need help to
>> trick the new gestapo!
>>

>> "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate."
>>
>> Kevin Fry .:. 81 Scirocco S
>>       San Diego, CA
>> --

Kevin Fry .:. 81 Scirocco S