Re: [body] Post Painting Q's

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Paul Krucke wrote:
> 2.)  It is going on 4 weeks, is it cured enough to apply the fixes any
> of you have to offer to the above Q?   In the 4 weeks the car has not
> been exposed to the elements except for some Sun on the drive from my
> buddys garage where we did the painting to my garage.  I can still
> smell paint oder in my garage (where the car WAS NOT painted).  Cured
> status?

My experience is not with car finishes, but with guitar finishes where I
normally use nitrocellulose laquer. . . the stuff will KILL you.  But the
process should be the same exept I guess you don't have to worry about too
piling on too thick on a car because the "tone" isn't paramount.  I
usually do 6 coats of color and 10-15 coats of clear. . .then wet sand the
sucka' down to 1000 grit.  The whole thing has a flat matte look, but
completely level.  Then hop on it with a buffing wheel. . . corse compound
and then fine compound.  They're just abrasives suspended in liquid.  I
use mirror glaze on guitars.  It takes so long on a little guitar, I'd
hate to see how long a whole car would take though.  Be very careful you
don't sand through on the edges.  With nitrocellulose, the finish will not
completely set for about half a year, but can be buffed out after 3 weeks.
I wait a couple days between every 5-6 coats.  You can hand buff as well,
but a whole car?!!!

my $.02 your mileage may vary,
'Chung