Re: [body] Post Painting Q's

Paul Krucke wrote:

> Is Chuck K. still out there?
>
> As some of you may know my GLi was suffering from Ohio induced 'skin
> cancer'.  The car awsome in every other way was just too good to sell
> for a loss or junk.
>
> I restored it!  Quite successfully actually.  Considering Black is the
> worst color to hide body work, the car is 1000 times better according
> to the wife.

Yup, black ia a PITA, I have been trying my best to  hide
a few of the dents left over from the Prev owner on mr
roc.

> DETAILS:
> I essentially used the PPG Delstar Acrylic Enamal system w/HVLP gun
> and proportions of 2:1.5 (paint/reducer) 8:1 (paint/hardner).  The car
> was sprayed in a less than ideal typical garage with the floor hosed
> down etc.  And I spayed on a whopping 6 thin coats.   The car was
> sprayed July 11th.  4 weeks ago come Saturday
>
> Questions for any of you body men/women out there;
>
> 1.)  There are some spots where insects and some dust settled onto the
> paint, and my buddy dribbled water (sweat from his beer) onto the
> hood, leaving a slight water spot effect.  Also are some barley
> noticeable "duller" areas where I wasn't as even with my spraying.  Q)
>  What can I do to "smooth" out these blemishes?

2 words, "Color Sand".  I just tried this for the first time
two days ago and all I can say is WOW!.  It gets rid of all
the bumpy looking stuff and makes a glaas like shine (anybody
remember that black Cabriolet at Waterfest?).

http://www.myclassiccar.com/restoration/newtips/colorsandtip.shtml

The link has a good howto for color sanding.  Basicly you use
1000 1500 2000 grit sand paper and wet sand the car (have to
do it by hand) then rubbing compound then polish compound
the polish.

> 2.)  It is going on 4 weeks, is it cured enough to apply the fixes any
> of you have to offer to the above Q?   In the 4 weeks the car has not
> been exposed to the elements except for some Sun on the drive from my
> buddys garage where we did the painting to my garage.  I can still
> smell paint oder in my garage (where the car WAS NOT painted).  Cured
> status?

Not sure on that one,  did it say on the paint can?  The stuff I used
(cheap PlastiKote patchup crap) Says 1 week befor sanding.

> Any advice to further aid the healing process of my cars skin grafts &
> plastic surgery would be appreciated. :-)  The battery is removed so
> it is under anesthesia again. :-)

Good Luck!
Etrik