RE: Maine Forest Pro Rally

Hey man!

Sorry to hear about that.  Unfortunately it is a big part of the sport.
It can be brutal.  Hopefully the 'pig' will be back on its feet
(hooves?) again soon.  When I started out, my racing partner and I were
switching off driving races (of course neither of us wanted to be the
navigator).  The last race of the first year was in a blizzard in upper
Michigan.  My cousin was driving and doing very well (it was more a
matter of seeing through an amazing snowstorm than incredible driving).
He caught two cars in a long stage.  Then the snow let up a bit as we
started the next stage.  Since the visibility was considerably better,
he could go considerably faster.  Also, catching cars on the stage has a
tendency to make a person cocky.  Well...the visibility was better, but
the traction wasn't and we understeered off of a long sweeper right into
a big tree (being the navigator, I told him not to drive into the tree,
but did he listen?  Nooooo!! ) -- at 50 mph.
(shit.....shit....shit..shitshitShitSHIT
WWWHHHAAAMMM ! ! ! ) Ouch. We both did the same thing --  A bit dazed...
"You OK?"  "Think so"  "You OK?"  "Yeah I think so"  (in
unison).....OOooohhhh my nuts hurt! (damn 'anti submarine' belt).
Minus one rally car.  But we built another one and the next rally is at
the end of the month in Northern Minnesota. (Anyone who is interested
should feel free to contact me for info).  So hang in there.  Getting
good takes time and experience.  I am at the fourth stage.  1. Start out
with uncontrolled enthusiasm.  2. Crash  3. After fixing car, start
again much more cautiously.  4. After learning how to _really_ handle
the car on loose surfaces, start pushing harder and then harder, to be
more competitive.  I'm still not as quick as the best local drivers.
Our car is not quite competitive (1.8 8v  up against  2.0 16v for the
faster cars) but as with all racing the biggest source of improvements
will be the driver.  But as you know, there is nothing else like it!!!
And now you have the hard part done !
Hope to see you name in the Maine Winter entry list!!!!

Damien