RE: The Great Brake Swap III

On Sunday, August 02, 1998 11:07 AM, Wojciech Galecki
[SMTP:galecki@umr.edu] wrote:

> 	Well I finally upgraded to 10.1's on my Scirocco and am really
> satisfied with the results but, as the ec article mentioned, the brake
> pedal now feels soft. So it looks like I'll probably be swapping the
master
> cylinder in as well. My questions regarding that are:
>
> 1) The Bentley says that there is a rebuild kit for the m.c. Can anyone
> confirm this?
>
> 2) Will I only need to swap the m.c. or will the brake servo have to be
> changed too? Is changing the m.c. a real big pain??
>
> 3) The guy I bought all my brake parts from said that the car ('87 16v)
> used DOT 4 brake fluid. Does changing the master cylinder dictate that I
> switch to DOT 4 fluid?
>
> Thanks for putting up with my q's and ignorance..
>
> __Wojciech Galecki__
> '84 8v (with big, soft brakes)

You need the big 20mm or bigger 22mm MC for the best pedal feel.
  Especially if your have or are going to upgrade to rear disks.  I don't
know about the booster on your 84 but my 78 required swapping both the
booster and MC.  The booster is a PITA and you may have to modify your
brake linkage or swap in an 85 or newer brake/clutch pedal cluster to make
it work.

I can show you how to modify your existing brake pedal if you don't want
the pleasure of a pedal swap.

Brian Honnold
'78 Rocco Ragtop --(with 10.1's and rear disks)