Burnt wires

Yesterday as I was working on my car, smoke suddenly started to come out
from under the dash. I turned off the car and nothing was on fire.
Everything looked all right so I went for a drive. Halfway through the
drive, all my interior lights (insutrment cluster, climate controls, etc)
died so I procedded home. This morning, I pulled out the car alarm since it
had a f*ck load of wires to it. Then I discovered that a blue-grey wire had
been burned badly. I assume this is the wire for the interior lights since
it goes to the switch. My question is, has anyone ever had to replace a
wire like this? Would removing the dash be the best way to replace it, as
it runs for a good foot or so and acsess is tight. Oh, and any ideas as to
why it would suddenly 'catch fire' and burn all the insulation off the
wire? Gave me a huge scare... just like driving at night and having all the
interior lights die. TIA

Tyler Zachau
Bean Bandit
Roadbuster