Re: Engine code question

On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Kevin wrote:

> Yeah, there are different 1.8's. I'm not sure of the exact codes (execpt
> JH) but the later 1.8's have hydraulic lifters(bad), and some have smaller
> valves(worse).

I don't know why your so against hydrolic lifters....most of the people on
this list they would not make a difference to. I've heard the same thing
about "floating" the valves at high rpm....but most if us don't see that
high of RPMS....plus all those 16v guys are hydrolic lifters...and they
make more power up high, and see higher rpms more concequently.  unless
your building a dedicated race motor that will see 7000 rpm alot, it
doens't make any difference whether or not you have soild or hydrolic
lifters...except with the hydrolic you don't have to adjust your valves
like you do periodically on the solids.

> The JH is the best engine for dropping in our old 'roccos IMHO. EASY swap,
> it's got solid lifters for better revvablility, and the biggest valves
> available, 40mm intake x 33 exhaust. Mine also has air shrouded injectors,
> which supposedly helps mileage. We'll see.

I think the most CONVIENIENT motor to use is the Hydrolic lifter JH out of
an 88 and up Cabriolet....I like not having to adjust my valves...and it
has the SAME size valves as the solid lifter heads.  I did some reseach or
this cause I was considering putting a solid lifter head on....but found
out it wasn't worth it...just makes for more work, and no more power.

Eric
As always...my .02