Re: alternator

Joshua D Johnson wrote:

> hello there,
>
>         The other day I noticed my alternator light coming on.  Well,
> like a dumb sack of cow feces I Ignored...
> result: I broke down on the side of the road and had to call my uncle to
> come and pick me up.
>
> The real question is: I have heard that a particular GM alterlator could
> be fit into a scirocco with positive results.  I have a friend who did it
> on an 8v and it worked wonders for the whole performance of his car,
> but would it work on a
> 6v???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
>
> What amperage or voltage difference is there between the 8v and 16v
> alternators...mounting differences?
>
> Joshua
> 88 16v (dead)

This may be a little elementary, but did you check the brushes on your
alternator?  My light came on a couple of weeks ago so I pulled out the
brushes and sure enough, they were worn down.  $15 for new brushes beats
buying a new alternator.  You may have something more complicated wrong
with your alt., but it doesn't hurt to check.

AJ
'87 8-valve