Re: Aftermarket Electronic Ignition

In a message dated 97-09-29 14:56:29 EDT, mark.peele@juno.com writes:

<< As some of you know, the 48 state U.S. Sciroccos came with point and
 condenser ignitions until 1981. I installed the Electronic ignition from
 my '81 into my 1980S. It works great.

 Now, my girlfriend Kristen has a 1978, and I want to convert it to
 electronic ignition. Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced,
 aftermarket kit to accomplish this? >>

On my '78, I installed a system called the Allison XR-700.  This was over 15
years ago.  The Allison name is no longer around but the system is sold by
Crane Cams under the same model number.  The system, when I bought it, had a
lifetime guarantee.  The system uses an infrared transmitter and receiver
with a chopper disk mounted to the distributor shaft under the rotor.
 Installation, IMO, was straight forward.  I did have to fabricate a rubber
grommet but that was all.  The system has never needed any adjustment in
timing since I installed it and the specs say it can go to 7,000 rpm.  I paid
$80 for it(15 years ago).  There is an ad in the November EC, page 52(no
price).  Another source is JC Whitney, $119.95.

Good luck.

-dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner