Re: Aftermarket Electronic Ignition

> On my '78, I installed a system called the Allison XR-700.  This was over 15
> years ago.  The Allison name is no longer around but the system is sold by
> Crane Cams under the same model number.  The system, when I bought it, had a
> lifetime guarantee.  The system uses an infrared transmitter and receiver
> with a chopper disk mounted to the distributor shaft under the rotor.
>  Installation, IMO, was straight forward.  I did have to fabricate a rubber
> grommet but that was all.  The system has never needed any adjustment in
> timing since I installed it and the specs say it can go to 7,000 rpm.  I paid
> $80 for it(15 years ago).  There is an ad in the November EC, page 52(no
> price).  Another source is JC Whitney, $119.95.

	Okay, I'm going to plead complete ignorance on this one.  I hear talk
of points and electronic ignition systems, and now this infrared
bizness.  Is there a big advantage of one over the other?  Logic (my
logic, anyway) would state that the points are probably limited to a
certain rpm for reasons that are beyond me.  Therefore, the electronic
ignition steps in to cure this problem.  Okay, so now the infrared is
here...Is it better than the electronic setup?  In what way?  Thanks for
your help.  I dunno why I have sucha hard time with the basics, but
that's life I s'pose.

jason
87 16V