Re: Mark Besso <quattro@snet.net>: DSP race car available

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Iain Mannix wrote:

> Sort of.  "Engines, transmissions and transaxles must beupdated/backdated
> as a unit."  That's it.  Otherwise, you can update parts from any car on
> the same line, IE, you can use a rear wiper equipped decklid without the
> wiper, as each part came on a Rabbit(what I have, sorry).  This rule also
> allows you to use 84 bumpers with 75 brackets, if you so desire.

For some reason I hadn't read that properly before - you're both right,
it is legal (by that rule).

> I'm fuzzy on this one, there was something that disallowed up/backdating
> parts between generations recently, whether or not they were on the same
> line.  So, if the MkI and MKII are considered different generations, one
> cannot use any MkII specific parts in their MkI Scirocco - IE, JH engines
> and 4k transmissions.  Power steering, too.  This being the case, I don't
> see why they don't put the MkIs on a different line, if this is what they
> want.

That ruling was actually removed just before Nationals, so that they could
examine each of those "lines" on a case-by-case basis.  They probably
realized how many SP cars would be immediately and totally illegal (like,
just about any MkI Scirocco with a 1.8l).

Kevin Wenzel
1981 VW Scirocco S (w/1.8 JH) - DSP #81 (Blix)
Director of Network Operations, privateI, LLC
http://www.privateI.com/