From: mark.peele@juno.com (Mark A. Peele)
To: scirocco-l@privateI.com
Subject: skerocdriver@juno.com (SHAWN C MEZE): Re: wipers
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 08:26:02 -0400

air deflector on a single blade should be flat - so as to present the
same nagle across the entire sweep range . . .
 . . . Mark
************************************NO CONTRACT****************
From: skerocdriver@juno.com (SHAWN C MEZE)
To: btpeet@effervescent.com
Cc: scirocco-l@privatei.com
Subject: Re: wipers
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 23:15:20 EDT

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997 09:56:58 -0700 Bradley Peet <btpeet@effervescent.com>
writes:
>That "stone-guard thingie" is a wind deflector to keep the wiper in
contact
>with the glass when driving at high speeds.  My single wiper (on my '79
>especially and the '83, too) used to literally levitate right up off of
the
>glass at about 80 or 90 MPH.  That is one of the main reasons I hated
it.  If
>I was smart (haha), I would have replaced the wiper arm because the
spring
>had lost some of its strength and then mounted an air deflect on it.

Well, I was gonna say that if it was raining hard enough to levitate the
wiper off the glass, that might have been a good clear clue to maybe slow
down, just a hair or two.
But, since you said you added an air deflector id say you didn't give any
thought to the fact the wiper passes the 90 deg from vertical and
probably gets to about 45 degrees and will cause lift on the wiper arm
that you attached the little air deflector onto. That would explain that,
huh? :)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
-- To subscribe or unsubscribe, send email to
scirocco-L-request@privateI.com, with your request (subscribe,
unsubscribe) in the BODY of the message.