RE: wipers

That "stone-guard thingie" is a wind deflector to keep the wiper in contact
with the glass when driving at high speeds.  My single wiper (on my '79
especially and the '83, too) used to literally levitate right up off of the
glass at about 80 or 90 MPH.  That is one of the main reasons I hated it.  If
I was smart (haha), I would have replaced the wiper arm because the spring
had lost some of its strength and then mounted an air deflect on it.

But, I think I understand why people like it:  it's different... it's unique.
 Not many cars (including most VWs) have a single front wiper, so that makes
it "cool".

BTW, I've seen people mount another wind deflector on the passenger side
wiper arm to give it that "balanced" look again. ;)

-Bradley
1986 Scirocco 16V 2.0 liter, Quaife, mods, mods, etc., etc.
1987 Quantum Wagon Syncro FOR SALE now.
http://effervescent.com/btp/vw.html