Re: Mark Besso <quattro@snet.net>: DSP race car available

> >FWIW, I don't think this last modification is strictly DSP legal -
> >AFAIK you can't update/backdate the steering system.
> >
> >Kevin Wenzel
> >1981 VW Scirocco S (w/1.8 JH) - DSP #81 (Blix)
> >Director of Network Operations, privateI, LLC
> >http://www.privateI.com/
>

> Im rather confused on this ruling also. I cant seem to find in my rule
> book where it states that you must use the whole steering system. (97
> solo II rule book) My understanding of the rule as it stands now is that
> you can update/backdate almost anything on the car as long as you use the
> system as a whole. IE, complete engine, or the complete tranny and not
> swapping parts and pieces between them.

Sort of.  "Engines, transmissions and transaxles must beupdated/backdated
as a unit."  That's it.  Otherwise, you can update parts from any car on
the same line, IE, you can use a rear wiper equipped decklid without the
wiper, as each part came on a Rabbit(what I have, sorry).  This rule also
allows you to use 84 bumpers with 75 brackets, if you so desire.

 Since the MK-II Scirocco's came
> with P/S that would allow all Sciroccos to have P/S. (Using a system from
> a Cabrio would be the same since its an A1 ect. same same unless for some
> reason the cabrio had unique parts.)
>
> The way it was explained to me recently, the new rules wouldn't allow ALL
> Scirocco's to update/backdate. That means since the MK-I Scirocco never
> came with P/S you wouldn't be allowed to install P/S on the MK-I.

I'm fuzzy on this one, there was something that disallowed up/backdating
parts between generations recently, whether or not they were on the same
line.  So, if the MkI and MKII are considered different generations, one
cannot use any MkII specific parts in their MkI Scirocco - IE, JH engines
and 4k transmissions.  Power steering, too.  This being the case, I don't
see why they don't put the MkIs on a different line, if this is what they
want.

The way I see it, if the JH is legal in the MkI, (I think it should be and
will remain legal), then power steering, all or in part, should be legal
IF the MkII had power steering (8v).  I believe it did.  What I have been
considering is taking the gears out of a pwr rack and putting them into a
non power rack, as teh power gears are rumored to be quicker.  I don't
know if this will work, but assuming the parts will fit, it would be
legal, as Rabbits (I believe) came with power steering.  Lets say they did
- it would be legal to use the power steering gears as the power steering
is not part of the engine, transmission or transaxle, therefore it would
be simply an update or backdate.  So, if the 8v Scirocco (I or II) came
with power steering, and they;re not considered different generations, I
think the power steering would be legal.  If the MkI and II are considered
different generations, then the power steering is the least of your
concerns.

Onto another thing - I have unsubscribed from this list for a number of
reasons.  mannix@privatei.com is my email address, if anyone wants to get
ahold of me, please do.  For every message I am interested in (like this
one), there are 20 or so that I am not interested in.  No offense, of
course, we all have different priorities and interests.  My interests lie
in suspension and performance (with a Solo emphasis) subjects.  Hope all
goes well on your projects and endeavors, if anyone wants another opinion
on suspension or related stuff, feel free to ask me.  I've tried a lot of
combinations, and have a pretty good idea of what various things do for
A1s.  Take care!

Mannix