Alternator...

Thanks for the help shawn, paul, and dogmatic...I had serious problems
with the pivot bolt (the computer i use is at work, so i don't have
access on the weekends).  I was trying to remove the pivot bolt with a 6
mm allen wrench and i could not get it to budge.  part of the reason is
that some putz who had the car before me "rounded out" the inside of the
head.  So i took it to a shop and they could not break it loose either
after an hour and a half of swearing, etc.  The guy at the shop ("The
starter and alternator shop"), said that bosch alternators don't go bad,
but it's the brushes that go bad.  So he tried to pull out the voltage
regulator and he broke off a screw head and told me that it's finished
because the ground was on that screw.  So I'm looking at the whole
situation and saying fuck to myself and he said that if i pull out the
radiator in the parking lot, he would have better access to the voltage
regulator.   So i took out the radiator and the other screw came out and
the brushes were indeed ground to a pulp...we tried to turn out the broken
screw, but it broke off at the housing...(oh boy, now we're screwed)...the
guy at the shop then takes a look at the voltage regulator and tells me
that he thinks he can offset it and drill in a self tapping screw.  Once
he did that, the thing works like a charm...to top it off, he charged me
37 dollars for the voltage regulator and 20 for labor (basically letting
me use his tools and for the 1.5 hours he spent trying to get the pivot
bolt out)...

Thank goodness for bosch alternators and generous shop owners...

Dale 84 8v power to spare...

Check out my homepage: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~flounder/
             **
           ******