Re: HELP!!!

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997 09:59:18 -0400 (EDT) "Dale D. Baker"
<flounder@umich.edu> writes:
>My alternator just went out last night and i had to get towed home...how
>do i find out if it's the alternator or voltage regulator...how hard is
it
>to change the alternator...any help is appreciated (AHIP)...Thanks...I
>have to take a day off work tomorrow and fix it...TIA...
>
>Dale
>84 8v

That sucks!
To test the alternator, you can simply take it to a Kragen, Chief or the
like autopart stores. Most of them will test your alternator for free and
tell you which is not working.

Getting it out:
With A/C (Big square looking thing.) you will need to get really dirty.
You will need to loosen and remove the belt. (naturally. remove the bolt
that adjusts the belt tension. (since it holds the alt to it.) and
lastly, get a long allen wrench and feel for the allen bolt that holds
the alt to the A/C bracket. If you look at the pulley side of the motor,
you can see the other end of where the bolt goes into. (its also the axis
where the alt pivots. That s the bolt!) Its not easy to get and you can
only make 1/16th turn on the bolt but be patient and it will come out.
Access to the bolt is gained from the warm up regulator side and the
allen key will pass through a triangle hole in the bracket.
Once you get the alt out, don't forget to unplug it then you will need to
maybe remove the brackets on the radiator so you will have more room to
get it out. If you rotate the alt where the pully is facing up, you can
get it out between the radiator and the A/C condenser.
Any questions?

Without A/C:

A kid could do this job. Its pretty straight foreward since the alt is
staring at you. Unbolt, unbolt, remove belt, unplug, OUT!
HTH!!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and