Re: HELP!!!

>My alternator just went out last night and i had to get towed home...how
>do i find out if it's the alternator or voltage regulator...how hard is it
>to change the alternator...any help is appreciated (AHIP)...Thanks...I
>have to take a day off work tomorrow and fix it...TIA...
>
>Dale
>84 8v

Hello Dale:

Changing the alternator is the easiest job on a VW. I wouldn't even bother
with the regulator, which is part of the alternator. If the regulator is
going, chances are(I would imagine) the rest of the unit is well worn also.

Only one tip: There is a 6mm hex bolt that is hidden in the housing below
the alt. It allows for the alt. to pivot. You will need an extension, 6"
should do, and a 6mm socket. Everything else is straightforward. Make sure
you disconnect your neg. battery terminal before you begin.

Regards,
Paul Hanley