Re: Control arm bushings

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997 16:00:00 -0400 Etrik Patricella
<etrik@pure-research.net> writes:
>My front control arm bushings are shot (You can see the wheel
>point in when power is applied).  They "were" poly, my question
>is should I go back to rubber or stay poly?

Poly tends to wear out faster, degrades quicker from everything I hear
off the net, NG ect. I know of one guy that I race with that blew a
complete brand new front poly set in one race. He thought they were
deffective and got another set, they lasted one race. I recall the
bushings he used were a solid color red bushing. (Not a clear red.)  When
he changed to a clear poly bushing they lasted longer but at the same
time I think he now has rubber bushings. <Shrug>

>I think the poly
>ones wore out because I had bad front struts (people thought I
>had hydraulics :).  A con about the rubber is that I need
>a press to get em in, right?  But they do cost "way" less and
>I can get the front two only (with poly, I have to buy the set
>of four).  Whadaya think?
>
>Later
>Etrik

Didn't you press in the poly bushings too? Hmmmm. Well, yes, you do need
to press them in but I used a long threaded rod and a couple big flat
washers to press in my bushings. Tighten down the nut and it presses in
the bushing. I think I paid a couple bucks for all the hardware to make
this, "special tool".
The front bushings I replaced were 15 yrs old and with the new bushings,
I Didn't feel any difference in the car at all. At least I know I have
new bushings in the car....... Piece of mind I suppose.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and