Re: suspension gurus II

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997 19:20:21 +0300 Arno Pae <arno@ddbn.ee> writes:

>>What does this mean, "falls through"?

>I mean the shock hits the bottom and it sounds like I hit the road
>with the front.

Oh, so you bottom out then. OK.

>The boingy-boingy test doesn't really give any answers, I say it
>doesn't bounce, some say yes it does, other that it doesn't.

So then its marginal.

>>Anyhow, a spring can be too short/stiff with a good shock OR a dead
>>shock with a good spring.  Make sense?  Hope so, TTYS. (said Mannix)
>
>Mannix got a pretty clear pic of my situation. I just want to know if a
>stronger shock could do some good for me ... and which could they be,
>Koni's, Bisteins,...

If you have a stiff spring, then you should match the spring with a
comparable shock. Otherwise you can have a brand new shock and still be
able to fail the car in a bounce test. If its not made clear by now, im
sold firmly on the koni's. Everything about the shock I like. Bilsteins
are not adjustable. Sure they are self adjusting but what about when you
don't want the setting it makes for you. Id rather be able to dial in
what I want in a shock and not have to deal with it doing its own thing.
At the same time, Bilstein makes a good shock, its just a matter of
preference. Boge makes a good shock also. I have them on my GLi with a
set of Neuspeed lowering springs. They work great with this setup.
Tokicos, I dunno. I cant really even say they are a good shock. Ive heard
too many bad things and have seen first hand their demise. Im sure in the
long run the price comparison will determine your selection of shock. It
did the first time I bought shocks. The second time I decided to do it
right.
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and