Re: Burning Oil ='(

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997 23:35:40 -0400 Etrik Patricella
<etrik@pure-research.net> writes:
>ACK!!,  I just noticed a small about of blue smoke and the smell
>of burning oil from my 16v...  I guess my rings couldn't thake those
>7500 rpm forays.  It is not smoking alot now, but I am pissed either
>way, I was almost done!!  All I needed was a paint job.  Now I am
>gonna have to change the rings!!!!

Maybe not. It could simply be an oil seal on an intake valve. it happens
and if it were an 8V, it would be easy to fix but since you HAD to have a
16V, its gonna be a bitch to fix either way.
One way to find out which of the 2 it is to hook an air hose up to a
fitting that will fit in the spark plug hole. Pressurize the cylinder at
TDC and listen to the intake manifold for air leaks. Listen to the oil
filler hole for air leaking. Listen to the exhaust pipe for leaking air.
You will hear some leaking but if the oil filler hole is giving alot of
air leaking, it might be the piston rings.
How many miles on the car?
Another thing you can do to determine the problem is a compression check.
(consult your Bently.)
Then you decide on what your gonna do. Fix it for real or use a temp fix
until its good and ready for a fix.

 (just because I know they are going).
>anybody have any tips on keeping to somking down to a min.?
>
>RRRRRrrrrrrr!!
>Etrik

You can upgrade to a thicker grade oil like 20W50. (if your not already
using it.) That might help with the oil burning and even give a little
extra compression. If its burning oil, then its burning oil. There really
is no stopping it without tearing something apart.....

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and