Re: Help me suspension gurus!

In a message dated 97-09-18 11:41:52 EDT, mcm@intergate.bc.ca writes:

<< if anyone has any experience with either the Illumina or the Bilstein, I'd
 love to hear from you. >>

Bilsteins.  I've had Bilsteins on my '78 for over 10 years.  They are the
street(HD) setting.  I started out with a used rear pair from a friend and
then later bought a front pair.  I wore out the rears several years ago and
then last year finally found a parts store that sold Bilsteins that would
help me.  Bilsteins are warranted forever but no one would speak to me
because I didn't buy the shocks from them.  He sent the pair into Bilstein
and in 2 weeks I had a new pair.  I really like the Bilsteins.  They are a
smooth ride on the road but stiffen up considerably on holes or large bumps.
 A few times I thought I broke something after being unable to avoid
potholes.  The jolt was so hard.  Upon stopping and inspecting, there was no
problem.  The progressive valving really does work as advertised.  I like the
design of the front strut inserts.  They are basically inverted compared to
other inserts.  The working cylinder and piston is at the top of the
strut(upsidedown).  This puts the heat generating parts up into the airflow,
instead of inside the strut housing tube, for better cooling under all
conditions.  I wish the rears were a little stiffer.  On medium to big dips
in the road, I can get some wheel rub with my Neuspeed springs w/195-50x15's.
 One thing about the rear shocks is that they have 5 positions to set the
spring seat.  They must be adjusted out of the car and are spaced 10mm apart.
That's 40mm of adjustment.  Not bad for a street shock. The rear shock tube
diameter is huge too, 50mm(almost 2").  In terms of life of the shocks, the
fronts have been in for some 10 years with more than 50K and there is no
bounce when you "bounce" the corner of the car.  When the rears wore out
there was about 80K on them.  Best of all they are German made.  I'm no
expert, just my experiences.

I give 1 vote for Bilsteins.

Good Luck!

-dick-