Engine Rebuilding?

Hey all.  Anyone know what it usually costs to "rebuild" an engine?
I'd like to do it over the winter (funds permitting), and at the same
time, convert it to a 2.0 block, port and polish, maybe lighten the
crankshaft, and ________________.
							  feel free to insert ideas here

	I've heard proces range from $1000 to $3000 (CAN).  Crazy cash, but
hey, if it'll keep my baby going trouble-free, I'm all over it.  Thanks,
all responses will be studied and considered.

jason
87 16V