Re: Speaking of wheels... and cutting springs... ;)

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997 23:33:12 -0500 "Aaron D. Patton"
<apatton1@airmail.net> writes:

>I have HOR Tech. springs on my '79.  I have thought that the front of
the
>car looked too high from the very begining after I installed the
springs.
>The back looks just fine, but the front still looks like it is pretty
much
>stock height.  The HOR springs do have 3 static coils at the bottom,
would
>it be safe to cut off 2 of them?
>Would I need to have the front end
>re-aligned afterwords?

Probably but I would'nt cut both coils at once. It might shorten the
spring too much to fit into the spring perches and it might also make the
car too low. You might want to cut 1/2 coil at a time.

Heres the deal. Remove the axle nut. Disconnect the ball joint. Unbolt
the brake caliper and remove the caliper. Disconnect the tie rod. This
will allow you to remove the strut and the hub without having to realign
the car. Maybe a bit more work involved but at least your alignments
settings wont be altered.
Remove the spring and cut 1/2 of the coil, reinstall and see how it looks
on the ground. (roll it back and forth a little so it will settle.) If
you need to cut more, you will already have an idea as to how much gets
removed by cutting 1/2 coil. Then when you get one side where you want
it, do the same to the other side but this time, you only have to do it
once since you know exactly how much to cut. Reassemble and drive. Easy
in theory, right. :)

> If I had the dough I would certainly buy a
>different set of springs, like maybe a set of threaded-body coil-overs.
>Thanx fo' the help.
>ADP
>:-) >

Ive still got a set of neuspeed lowering springs for sale. $100 +
shipping if your interested. If I were you, id just cut the springs you
have.
HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and