Re: MY Car's Mods and a few problems......

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997 18:33:11 -0500 Jim Buck <vwpride@mixi.net> writes:

>Got to call you on this one Shawn, you should know better!

Whaaat. I don't know better? oh well, call me on it.....

>Any fluid under pressure has a higher boiling point, including water.

I do know that. Didn't I say that?

>And water, aside from being way less slippery on the track than ethylene
glycol,
>is a far superior conductor of heat (cools way better).

I agree here too. BUT! As temps go up and even under pressure, coolant
has a higher boiling point that will keep the H2o in the radiator as a
fluid and not a gas. Am I right?

>  So, in no way is it a hinderance.

No, not to the extreme extent of the big picture its not a hinderance. In
the racing world, I still think it can be. Have you ever watched the 1-2
lap qualifying they do. Ever notice that by the second lap or sometimes
even on the first lap how the overflow is spewing water on the track? Id
say its boiling.
But for the type of driving I do, or even just general commuter driving,
id want some coolant in my radiator just because its a good idea.

>  Most race cars, and many street rods run straight
>water with an additive such as Redline Water Wetter, which serves to
>further lower the surface tension of the water, lubricate the water
>pump, and inhibit corrosion.

Oh, hey, if I HAD some of that good stuff I would definitely run less
coolant. But, I don't so the 50-50 mix or something resembling that is
what I use. Besides I was only including H2o and coolant. Additives
really changes the whole discussion.

>Outside of that, antifreeze does what
>it's name implies well, but as a coolant, it sucks.  If I lived in San
>Diego, I'd run less than a half gallon of antifreeze, one bottle of
Water
>Wetter and the rest water. IMHO,
>
>Jim

me too! But I don't have the Water Wetter so like i said before, the
coolant is needed to act as a lubricant, anti corrosion and I like the
pretty green color when I take off the cap. It always reminds me of a
certain MK-I Scirocco im so very fond of...... ribbit-ribbit.  ;-D
(Im just jealous of that 79')

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and