Re: MY Car's Mods and a few problems......

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 16:31:16 -0700 Benton Yoshida
<byoshida@zygote.hsc.usc.edu> writes:

>I remember reading that the all-conquering Honda turbo motors for the
>McLaren F1 cars used pure water for coolant because it had a higher
>heat conductance and/or heat capacity than glycol. They just had the
>system under really high pressure to prevent boilover.

I dont know of any racing sanction that will allow anything other than
just water in racing cars cooling systems. Mainly because water, when
spilled on a racing surface is apt to evaporate more quickly and can act
less like an oil slick which, coolant (glycol) can. Its nothing to do
with the cooling abilities. Glycol does have a higher boiling point than
just straight water so if anything using straight water would seem to me
to be a hinderance IMHO.

>Just one of the advantages
>of running a motor that gets torn down after every day of driving and
>never sees freezing temperatures.

I dunno about that. Im sure those motors get crated up and shipped back
to the engine builder for overhaul or whatever. I have heard a few times
that the engines that are used by NASCAR are thrown out after a race.
Apparently the stresses of running 800+ hp for 3-4 hours causes enough
stress to make the blocks useless after only one race. They are
constantly building racing engines and even build special engines for
qualifying. Can you imagine paying $85,000 for an engine that is designed
to only run for 2-4 laps? Mind blowing!

>Unrelated, but whatever happened to Synthoil (sp?) that used to be
>trumpeted in every issue of VW&P?
>b-------

Uh, the advertisement campaign ended? That's my best guess.....  :-P

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and