Re: FUBA help

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997 15:26:26 -0500 (CDT) Elias Glavinas
<elias@tesla.wustl.edu> writes:

>This is my main concern, too. I have an 8V, so I have to drill a hole.
>I have experimented on taking the headliner out from the back of some
>Sciroccos at junkyards. It seems that there is some padding substance
>that runs along the rear side of the roof. Then it seems like the
>headliner is stitched to something on the roof, and you have to
>basically rip it down. I am quite wary to start this job. While it is
quite easy
>to pop the side rear windows and take the headliner off from there, it
is
>not so easy to do so from the rear.
>
>I would really appreciate it if somebody who has performed this
>successfully could give us some tips.
>

>Ilias

Its just like you have discovered only you really don't need to rip the
headliner. its glued to the car and not sewn, FYI so just be patient with
it and work it until you get it started. Remember to drop the rear window
seal to get to the edge of the rear of the headliner. I ended up removing
the headliner and the 2 support rods that hold the headliner up to get to
where I needed to be to drill the hole. I must of measured a dozen times
before I drilled the hole. Also, I put a strip of tape on the paint and
then marked my drilling location and drilled through the tape, it really
bade for a nice hole and left the surrounding paint alone. Then I used
touchup paint on the newly exposed metal to keep it from rusting.
Under the skin is a support beam that you must avoid drilling into. If
you drill into the middle of it then you will not be able to mount the
antenna. Check the location often. I still got a little piece of the beam
but it was good enough to allow me to mount my antenna. I wanted the
antenna back enough as to allow the opening of the hatch and not
interfere with the antenna. I could of moved foreward a few more MM. Ah
well.
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and