Re: Fuel filters...

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997 09:46:40 -0700 (MST) Night Shadow
<soltwede@ucsub.colorado.edu> writes:
><snippertime..>
>I just assumed that it was a filter....but why would 2 go bad on
>me?...hmm
>I'll try and figure out what it is....oh bently....here boy...
>
>Eric

Nope, Brett is right. Its a fuel accumulator and its job is to give you
instant fuel pressure when you first crank the car in the morning. You
could call it a fuel pressure reservoir of sorts since, that's all it
does in life. (besides leak.)
Why does it leak? Hmm, good well thought out question. Well, my best
medical advice is that since you replaced your leaky one on you MK-I with
another unit from the same vintage, its highly likely that it was gonna
leak, too.
Mine has leaked on startup through that little flat tip screw on the back
also. It stops after about 30 seconds. its done this for the last year or
so. It always stops so I haven't done much about it. Id love to replace
it but im affraid to ask how much a new one costs.

Say, get a P/N from the ole one and I can look up the price that the
dealer wants for one!

As far as the fuel pump fuse blowing on you, that could be from the pump
being really hot, high resistance in the fuel pressure system (Clogged or
kinked fuel lines) or the sigh of a dying fuel pump.

You still have that donor car, right? Since you know you have a kinked
fuel line, why not replace it? it will take all of 5 minutes you know. It
probably wont fix or help the problem, but  at least you will have peace
of mind that the fuel lines are clear.
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and