Re: 200hp goal

On Sat, 27 Apr 1996 20:19:08 -0700 Jason Brunberg <stoopid@idirect.com>
writes:

>	         123 stock motor
>	        + 10 exhaust
>	      	+ 15 2.0 block (tho big gains in torque)
>		+ 10 cams
>		+ 10 port and polish the head
>		+ 10 fuel enrichment
>		----
>		 178 hp??
>
>	I keep saying that I want to do a bunch of stuff to the car, and
now is
>a good time to do it.  I just put it away for the winter today, so now I
>can work on it and not worry about having parts not connected to the
car.

>jason
>the mad bastard

You can gain a few more ponies by shaving the head to its max limits.
This will increase the compression ratio for you a little.
Another option is to buy a higher compression ratio piston. I think
Velocity sells 12-1 pistons.
Since stock injection is good up to 170hp, you will probably start
looking at a set of dual carbs. Have fun with that! I don't know of
anybody that has them and doesn't have constant adjustment problems with
them.  You might want to look at another source of injection that can
feed your fueling needs.

The only problem with getting a 200hp motor is that sooner or later your
gonna need to smog it? Right? Do you have a smog test where you are?
Well, that's the bad part about building an awesome engine. It wont be
very legal.

Im curious as to why you are against NOS? I can understand why you don't
want a turbo kit. Lets just say, for the sake of discussing, you have
already got the motor that you described above. OK, so now you got 178hp
under the hood. All you do is add a 40+ shot of NOS and your well up to
218+ hp. You wont want all that hp all the time so to me, this makes
sense, in both an economical and mechanical way as well.

I don't know about you, but I read SCC, EC and a few other import car
mags that talk alot about the use of NOS. Times have changed alot in 10
years since ive been drag racing the alcohol funnycar. We would NEVER use
NOS mainly because of the damage it caused on valves (It had a rep of
stretching the valve stems.) on consecutive passes. Nowadays, NOS is
everywhere and from what I have seen, when installed properly, works
flawlessly. They sell them in kits now (like the 40, 80 and 100 shot
kits) so other than the plumbing involved and light machine work
(Drilling/taping), its an easy installation.
Well, it just makes sense to use NOS to close the gap in HP your after.
that's my thoughts......

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and