Re: Fuel Mixture Plate

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 14:32:17 -0400 "Brubaker, John" <JBrubaker@AMF.com>
writes:
>Hello all,
>
>I know we have spoken about this before, but I seem to have lost the
>line somewhere.  Anyway, I want to move to the larger fuel mixture
>plate which is part of the fuel distributor assembly.  I currently
>have the stock assembly for the 1.6 liter EJ.  Which car(s) can I get
>the larger plate from?  Also, is this an easy bolt on or is there more
>involved with this?  I have already moved up to a 2" exhaust, empty
>cat and larger throttle body from the Audi 5000.

>John
>80 Scirocco S
>85 GTI
>
>John

Hi John - John.
I thought I had already replied to this one, but if not, here it is in
the short version. When I got mine, I didn't look to see which car it was
in. I think it was probably an older Rabbit. Maybe.
The pre 85 vw's came with the smaller 60mm plate. Its pretty easy to
identify since its definitely small and somewhat chunky looking. The lip
on the thing is huge!
What you want to get is the whole Fuel distributor assy that had a
sticker on the fuel distributor body (on the fender side just below the
fuel distributor). The sticker sez "67 K".  According to the Greg Raven
book, the thick lipped 80mm housing flows better for supercharged motors,
it runs richer.
Mine sez "67 AN".  Hmm. I never found a 67K but the size of the lip was
right and the size of the plate was right. I have the thin lip version.
Works fine for me.
So, to make it clear, there are at least 2 versions of the larger plate.
(80mm) one thin lipped (The part where the boot mounts) and the other a
little thicker but nowhere near as thick as the stock 60mm unit.

Also, something that I had problems with FOREVER and could not find was
that there is a gasket that fits between the fuel distributor and the
housing. Mine was missing! That explained a rough idle and other little
problems I had with the car. I still do have a slight miss but its
conditional to something unknown to me. Its not that bad, maybe im just
overly sensitive or something.
Anyways, HTH.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and