Re: No Power before 3k rmp

Chief Administration Officer wrote:

> I have just acquired a 1986 16v (1.8l I think). The engine has no power
> before 3,000 rpm. This however dose not render the car undriveable. The car
> just seems to really lag and sputter until it gets to 3,000 then it takes
> off and runs just fine. There is also a problem when the throttle is
> "punched", the engine will not respond at all, it will hover in the 500  to
> 1000 rpm, even after the throttle is released, the engine will not recover
> and it has to be restarted. The engine also has an idle problem, it almost
> dies, but recovers. It recovers better when the rpm drop from 4-5K to 1k
> (such as when the clutch is engaged while coming to a stop). But when the
> rpm go from 2-3k to 1k to engine will not recover, but can be restarted
> with out a problem.
>
>         My first thoughts tend to lead me to believe that there is a vacuum leek
> somewhere, but where? And how do I go about finding it? If that is it. Or
> can this be caused by something else?
>
> McKinley H. Tabor

Sounds like two problems, bad idle and no power under 3k rpm.

For the sputtering and no power under 3k:

Could be the plugs, rotor, and cap. Replace them (use only OEM BOSCH)
If you still have problems replace the injector O-rings
Worst case is clogged injectors (the car will run real hot,
and backfire sometimes)  Check the spray pattern and replace
the bad with NEW ones.

Befor spending any money check all the vacuum lines and the intake
boot for cracks.  This is all I can think of at the moment.

HTH!
Etrik

The Scirocco 16v Site
http://activated.virtualscope.com/etrik/